Sometimes you run across a blog post that just blows your mind. For me this was yesterday when I came across the simplest idea that I think is just brilliant!
First I’ll tell you when I think you could use this, and why I think it’s brilliant.
Then I’ll tell you how to do it. Deal? Read on McDuff…
You probably know that stress is just about the biggest problem for nearly everyone, right? We’re all working too long at our jobs and trying to be practically perfect in every way, pushed along by our dollar-driven media pimping all kinds of aids to being perfect.
I love to use flower essences to help with stress when it’s acute. And for clients who are *really* stressed I also recommend a few other things:
- I teach them four-fold breathing and the miracle of EFT tapping.
- I talk about the kinds of foods to eat to help your body cope better with the ravages of stress.
- I lecture about sleep, and ways to get more. (I’ll write about these ideas in the next few days).
- And I suggest ways to make it easier to sleep. One way is to use lavender oil which is known for its proven ability to help the brain slow down into that lovely dreamy pre-sleep Alpha phase. Usually I suggest a couple of drops of oil on a tissue tucked into the pillowcase. And then I found this idea….
Making it Easier – Vapour Shower Disks!
So this bloggie that inspired me yesterday is written by an essential oil deva, Patti O’Leary. Patti made Vapour Shower Disks to help clear congestion when you’re fighting a dreaded flu lurgy.
- 2 1/4 C baking soda (bicarb to Aus, Kiwi, Saffa and Euro readers)
- 3/4 C water
- 15 drops (each) Lavender, Eucalyptus and Rosemary essential oil
- 24 count mini muffin tin
- 24 mini muffin paper liners
Mix the water and bicarb till it’s soupy, add the essential oils, divide between the 24 muffin papers and leave to dry for 24 hours.
Then when you’re showering, just drop one in the corner and as the bicarb dissolves it will also release the lovely essential oil vapours to work their magic on your brrrainnnn. No, with these oils it will be working on your nose and sinuses. (and your brrrainnnn)
Making it Even Better!
I’d love my stress-bunny clients to use more than one oil AND at least Rescue Remedy or Emergency Essence, but when we’re feeling stressed we can only do what we can do, and so I don’t overwhelm anyone with too much.
That’s why I suggest only lavender: the great balancer, healer, calmer, nurturer, steadier, composer. Actually it’s the all-round general good-oil.
But with Patti’s recipe, we can make a batch of vapour disks ahead of time so they’re on hand when the stress hits (cos you know, it’s life….).
I headed for my go-to reference, The Fragrant Mind by essential oil goddess Valerie Ann Worwood, and read up on some other oils that might be great to include along with lovely lavendar:
- Mandarin or orange – to boost your self worth
- Bergamot – to boost your emotional strength, and add balance
- Peppermint – for self-acceptance, help you stop judging yourself for being stressed
- Marjoram – for assurance and to add to your sense of balance, calm, and comfort
I’d also add 12 drops of Rescue Remedy or Emergency Essence to the bicarb soup.
Oils That Boost Your Mood
So I had to try this recipe! I’m not having sleep issues but I could do with a pick-me-up in the mornings.
So I chose:
- Ginger – for a confidence boost, always need a bit more of this!
- Geranium – because I bloody love the smell and for balance and being open
- Mandarin – for feeling calm, refreshed and inspired
And seven drops of Jacaranda Australian Bush Flower Essence to help with focus, so I don’t run off and try doing fifteen things all at once. Who me? 😀
And here’s my end result – 24 vapour disks ready to work their morning magic in the shower.
What would your go-to oils be?